In celebrating cake for generations, Renshaw has over 120 years experience in baking and cake decorating expertise, product innovation and inspiration.
Renshaw is a British food manufacturing company established in 1898 that prides itself on having a predominantly local workforce. It is also proud to be the grantee of a Royal Warrant from Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, having first been granted one by George VI in 1950 for almond products.
Renshaw is the leading British manufacturer of ready to roll icing, marzipan, frostings, caramel and mallows. It supplies specialist sugarcraft shops, bakery and general wholesalers, major grocery retailers as well as food manufacturers and the foodservice sector. It also supplies local distributors in over 30 countries worldwide.
If you would like to know more about becoming a Renshaw distributor, please Contact Us.
The site produces approx. 20,000 tonnes (or 20,000,000 kilos) of finished product in an average year.
All of the sugar used in Renshaw products is milled on site to ensure it meets exacting brand and product standards.
Almonds used for marzipan production are blanched and processed on site prior to production.
- In 1898, John F Renshaw & Co Limited was founded, with its first premises situated on Great Portland Street, London.
- Marzipan was the first product to be created by the company, and is still one of Renshaw’s biggest sellers today. The almond-based product was brought to the UK by John Renshaw from his experience gained in Germany.
1930’s and 1940’s
- From the 1930s, Renshaw was exporting to New Zealand, Argentina and Mexico, with exports to Australia beginning post-war.
- Renshaw was granted its first Royal Warrant by King George VI in 1950 followed by Queen Elizabeth II and The Queen Mother in 1955.
- To this day, Renshaw proudly boasts this Royal Warrant, granted for “Purveyors of Almond Products.”
- Since the 1960’s, Renshaw started to source ingredients internationally, with almonds sourced from California and essential bitter almonds from Morocco.
- Coinciding with the decade’s supermarket retail revolution, the business began its move beyond its traditional ‘craft bakery’ base to deal directly with companies such as Marks & Spencer and Sainsbury’s; relationships which still stand today.
1970’s and 1980’s
- During the late 1970’s, discussions opened between Renshaw and Liverpool-based manufacturer Allmey & Layfield. The two companies merged in 1980, with all production moving to Liverpool in 1991.
1990’s and 2000’s
- In the 1990’s the company was acquired by Schwartau. During this period, over £16m was invested in the Liverpool site and a series of accolades followed:
- 1994 – The Liverpool site was awarded Best Factory in the North West by Management Today magazine and Cranfield University.
- 1995 – Renshaw is accredited as an Investor in People.
- 1996 – Renshaw is awarded ISO9001 – the first of many subsequent universal quality accreditations.
- 2005 – Renshaw becomes part of the Real Good Food Company PLC.
We have become experts in our field through a combination of peerless product knowledge and expertise. We use our comprehensive NPD and test bakery facilities and a BRC-accredited production facility in Liverpool, UK to deliver quality products in a variety of pack sizes suitable for all types of customer.
In the UK, most of the Renshaw range is freely available at all good bakery wholesalers and specialist independent sugar craft stores. A wide selection of our products can also be found in stores such as Hobbycraft and Lakeland and through various outlets online.
Visit our Stockists page for more information.