- 180g (6oz) self-raising flour
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt
- 220ml (8floz) buttermilk
- 2 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon red food colouring
- 120g (4oz) butter - room temperature
- 340g (12oz) caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 400g Renshaw Vanilla Frosting
- Red jelly hearts
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/325°F/gas mark 3.
- Sift together the self-raising flour, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda and a pinch of salt.
- In a small bowl, mix the buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla extract and red food colouring.
- In a mixing bowl beat (by hand whisk or electric hand whisk) the butter and caster sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Into the creamed butter and caster sugar, beat in the egg a little at a time. Mix in a third of the flour mixture, followed by half the buttermilk mixture, then another third of the flour, the rest of the buttermilk and finally the last of the flour mixture.
- Divide the mixture between two 18cm cake tins.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes, until risen and springy.
- Leave cakes in their tins on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Turn out on the wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- When cooled, sandwich the two sponges with Renshaw Vanilla Frosting, and then cover the cake with Vanilla Frosting, spreading over the outside of the cake with a pallet knife.
- Decorate with red jelly hearts.