Rainbow Cake Recipe
Uploaded by Renshaw Baking
- 540 g unsalted butter - softened
- 540 g caster sugar
- 9 medium eggs - lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 540 g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Yellow, orange, red, green, blue and purple food colouring paste
- 400 g Renshaw Vanilla Frosting
- 250 g Renshaw Yellow Ready to Roll Icing
- 250 g Renshaw Tiger Orange Ready to Roll Icing
- 250 g Renshaw Poppy Red Ready to Roll Icing
- 250 g Renshaw Lincoln Green Ready to Roll Icing
- 250 g Renshaw Atlantic Blue Ready to Roll Icing
- 250 g Renshaw Deep Purple Ready to Roll Icing
Renshaw products used
Email this recipe
Pre-heat the oven to 170°C/325°F/gas mark 3.
Grease and line two 20cm sandwich tins with baking paper.
Cream the unsalted butter and caster sugar until light and fluffy.
Add the lightly beaten egg gradually to the mixture, reducing the speed when adding and increasing in between each addition to combine the egg.
Add the vanilla extract.
Sift together the self-raising flour and baking powder and fold into the butter mixture.
Weigh out the cake mixture and divide into six equal portions. Colour each one a different colour using food colouring paste.
Bake two cakes at a time in the pre-heated oven for approximately 20 to 25 minutes.
Once baked, remove each cake from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
Cover the whole cake with a thin layer of Renshaw Vanilla Frosting and leave in the fridge to firm for half an hour.
Knead and roll out the coloured Renshaw Colour Ready to Roll Icings on a work surface lightly dusted with icing sugar to desired thickness.
Using a various sixes of circle cutters, cut out coloured sugar paste circles to decorate the cake.
Remove the cake from the fridge and using a palate knife, cover the cake generously with the remaining buttercream.
Whilst still soft, place the coloured ready to roll icing circles over the surface of the cake to decorate.