Wednesday 16th March 2016
Fondant icing is actually the same thing as sugar paste. It can be bought as plain white icing, or you can colour it yourself with a gel colourant. The alternative is to buy a ready-coloured fondant like these, which you can find in a variety of different colours. You can also mix them to make your own colours, but be warned: a little experimentation and understanding of colour theory is advisable here.
Fondant icing is incredibly versatile. You can use it for covering and decorating a cake, or modeling foliage, objects and creatures to feature on a cake. Fondant icing is very easy to roll. You can buy it as ‘ready-to-roll’ icing, which gives you more time to spend planning your design. Our fondant icing products are the professional decorator’s favourite, but to get the best results from your icing it’s important to become familiar with how to make the icing malleable for the best results. Our detailed instructions attached to each recipe, as well as our helpful videos, can help you to create the desired effect.
Fondant icing can be kept in an airtight container for up to nine months. It can even be frozen so you can keep it for a lot longer. The icing is easier to manipulate when it has been warmed, so you can pop it into the microwave for a few seconds to make it more versatile.
Covering a cake with fondant icing will give you a beautiful, smooth finish. You can use shape cutters or craft freehand to create all sorts of shapes with which to decorate your cake.
Below are 5 of our favorite fondant cake decoration ideas. With each recipe there is easy-to-follow guidance so you can create something your friends and family will marvel at.
1) Rainbow Skittles Cake If you want a cake that screams colour, then the rainbow cake is the obvious choice. Ideal for kids’ parties, this cake is fun, frivolous and funky.
2) Gingerbread folk Cut out and kit out your gingerbread men in everything from brightly coloured knitwear to spotted swimwear. We suggest the Renshaw neon multipack icing to give your gingerbread people maximum wardrobe choices.
3) Vintage Lace Cake If ever a cake could showcase the simple loveliness of fondant icing then this is it. With its elegant sheen and gentle colouring, the vintage cakes exhibit the ultimate in sophisticated, tasteful decoration.
4) Carrot Cake Bites You don’t have to be a master sculptor to master the techniques needed to make these cute carrot cake bites. These little morsels of loveliness are as tasty as they are adorable.
5) Pink Ombre Cake This is a cake that knows how to show off the effectiveness of fondant icing colour gradations. It takes a little bit of patience to craft, but the effect is outstanding.
For more fun ideas with fondant icing, why not browse our recipes and experiment with possibilities for every occasion?