Movember is upon us once more and men everywhere will be growing an assortment of coloured and styled moustaches like the Selleck, the Walrus, the Handlebar and the Dali. For those of us without the ‘tache growing ability, we help out with fundraising, which is a good excuse to get baking. Coffee mornings take place across the country to rustle up extra donations to the cause of supporting men’s health, and no coffee morning is complete without cake and biscuits.
There’s a great variety of moustache shaped cookie cutters available now, and these are great for creating biscuits and cupcake toppers from Ready to Roll Icing in a range of colours from Jet Black to Grey, Teddy Bear Brown to Poppy Red. You can even use cake pop sticks in your biscuits to create a temporary (and edible) ‘tache and have fun deciding which style and colour suits you best.
Last year £20.4 million was raised for Movember through sponsorship and fundraising events, which has been used to fund men’s health programmes in the UK. So you can enjoy your Movember bakes twice as much knowing you’re making a positive contribution.
How to make Moustache Pops
You will need…
- A selection of:
250g Renshaw Jet Black Ready to Roll Icing
250g Renshaw Teddy Bear Brown Ready to Roll Icing
250g Renshaw Chocolate Brown Ready to Roll Icing
250g Renshaw Grey Ready to Roll Icing
250g Renshaw Poppy Red Ready to Roll Icing
250g Renshaw Tiger Orange Ready to Roll Icing
- Moustache cutters (moustache stamp optional)
- Cake pop sticks
- Ready-made moustache shaped biscuits
- Apricot jam
How to make…
- Roll out your pre-made biscuit/shortbread mixture and use various moustache shaped cutters, then gently push a cake pop stick into the right hand side of the biscuit so that they can be held up to the face like a moustache. Bake and leave to cool on a cooling rack for 30 mins.
- For each packet of Ready to Roll icing, open and knead until pliable, dust your work surface lightly with icing sugar, then roll out to your desired thickness.
- Lightly brush each of your ready-made moustache biscuits with apricot jam.
- Using the moustache cutters you used to create your biscuits, cut out different moustache shapes from each of your colours of Icing, and gently press these onto the corresponding biscuit shapes.
- If you have a moustache cutter with a moustache stamp included (with the ridges effect of hair) then press this gently into the Icing to make your moustaches look more realistic.
- If you do not have a stamp, use the edge of a spoon to make indentations in the Icing to look like hair.
- Alternatively you can follow the stops for cutting out and marking the Ready to Roll Icing for use as cupcake toppers or for decorations on a larger cake.
You can sign up to participate or make a donation through the Movember website.
Don’t forget to let us know what your bake for a fundraising event through Facebook (Renshaw Baking) or Twitter (@renshawbaking).