- 100g (3½oz) plain flour
- 20g (1oz) cocoa powder
- 140g (5oz) caster sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 40g (1½oz) butter - softened
- 120ml milk
- 1 egg – medium
- Preheat the oven to 170°C / 325°F / gas mark 3.
- Line a cup cake tray with cases.
- Put the plain flour, cocoa powder, caster sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a mixer and beat on a slow speed until everything is combined.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and add the milk, beating well until all the ingredients are well mixed.
- Now add the egg to the mixture and beat well.
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases until they are two-thirds full.
- Bake for 20 minutes and remove when the sponge bounces back when touched.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.