- 225g (8oz) unsalted butter - softened
- 225g (8oz) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 200g (7oz) self-raising flour
- 25g (1oz) cornflour
- 3-4 tablespoon milk
- 4 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 142ml double cream
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/275°F/gas mark 4
- Cream the unsalted butter and caster sugar and add the vanilla.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, adding a spoonful of self-raising flour between each.
- Fold in the rest of the self-raising flour and cornflour and when it is mixed in add a little milk as necessary.
- Pour the batter into the two 21cm sandwich tins and bake for about 25 minutes, until a cake skewer comes out clean.
- Leave cakes in their tins on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Turn out on the wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- Put one layer on a plate and spread with jam.
- Whip the cream until it is thickened but still soft and spread over the jam.
- Place the other cake layer on top and sprinkle over a table spoon or so of caster sugar.